While outdoor pursuits are popular here in summer, sometimes kid-centered activities need to be, well, kid-focused. So for those who have already been to area parks, pools and playgrounds, here are 10 attractions that will have kids entertained for hours:
- The Family Fun Center & Bullwinkle’s Restaurant offers six acres of fun–for adventure inside and out (29111 SW Town Center Loop West, Wilsonville). This amusement park has miniature golf, go-karts, laser tag, bumper boats, a 28-foot rock wall, batting cages, a bungee sling shot, more than 150 arcade games, a cyber coaster, Kidopolis Playland–and a full-service restaurant and snack bar.
- Enjoy an expanse of pizza and play at John’s Incredible Pizza Company (9180 SW Hall Blvd., Beaverton). An inventive pizza/pasta/salad/dessert buffet, full-size rides and interactive arcade games make this expansive spot popular for families with kids of all ages.
- The entertainment center Big Al’s (14950 SW Barrows Rd., Beaverton) houses bowling lanes, a large dedicated arcade space, snack bar and sports bar/restaurant, plus a golf-themed lounge for the over-21 set. (See the list of all bowling lanes in Oregon’s Washington County).
- Older kids and teens can zap one another at Laserport (6540 SW Fallbrook Pl., Beaverton). The kids can enjoy laser tag and arcade games, while parents can enjoy a cocktail in the restaurant/bar.
- Kids bouncing off the walls? They can, literally, at Sky High Sports (1131 SW Greenburg Rd., Tigard), which is made up of giant trampolines. Open to all ages, visitors can jump to their hearts’ content, or join in a dodgeball game.
- Another fun activity for older kids and teens is indoor rock climbing at Stoneworks Climbing Gym (6775 SW 11th Ave., Beaverton), which is one of the largest climbing gyms in the region.
- For younger kids who aren’t quite ready for a climbing gym, Out of this World Pizza and Play (6255 NW Century Blvd., Hillsboro) is a space-aged attraction with a bouldering wall, scooter cars, a giant play structure, and a dedicated infant/toddler play area.
- Rev up an engine at the indoor go-kart experience, Sykart Indoor Racing Center (8205 SW Hunziker St., Tigard)
- Or, opt for outdoor racing at Malibu Raceway (9405 SW Cascade Ave., Beaverton)
- Also for kids aged 2-12 is the Outdoors In Park at the Plaza (124 E. Main St., Hillsboro), an indoor full-size playground complete with slides, bouldering wall and a “whole-body” electronic gaming system.
The majority of these attractions have Facebook pages offering deals and discounts, too. So make your plans and announce to the kids just how much fun they’re in for!